Re: [CBQ] Open invite

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Open invite
From: <robev1630@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 02:52:29 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Leo,
This from Jim Miller, former pres. of the BRHS, Good friend and a guy that gets
his modeling done instead of reading 236 unanswered emails from his Yahoo
groups.
Rob Manley

PALLEEEZZEE don't paint it silver !

Sent this to Leo:

"Leo,

The Q "painted" their smokeboxes and fireboxes a graphite and oil mixture
because that was the only mixture that would hold up to the high temperatures
of those spots. This appeared to be a very dark grey in color. For a touch up,
the graphite and oil mixture could easily be sprayed by any shop crew and did
not require returning to the main shops for a total repaint.

The use of silver was a modern adaptation used primarily in the rail fan days
to "dress up" the engines. This was not "standard" practice.

I would urge you to consider the "graphite and oil" color for the repainting of
your engine."

Jim  R Miller
Facility Custodian/Maintenance II -Stevens Point-Marshfield Group
M&I Support Services Corporation
Phone (715) 342-3240  Fax (715) 344-8489
Cell [715] 340-0265
jim.miller@micorp.com
ISO 9001:2000 Certified