Re: Re: [CBQ] There must be a better way...

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>,<CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: Re: [CBQ] There must be a better way...
From: <kohlj@bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 15:19:19 -0400
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
> "Kids" were never a factor in Scale Model Railroading.

Kids grow up and become people who may be interested in getting model trains
again.  Kids who grow up on TV & video games are not as likely to be interested
in that.

> the total volume of sales is as high as it ever has been.

If this is so, why the drastic change of the market over the past few years?

> Your $6.98 Athearn rubber band drive F7 would cost around
> $75 in today's money.... which is about what you pay for a gear-drive
> Athearn Ready-to-Roll F7A/B unit combo with window glazing, superior motor,
> improved traction, and accurate graphics

Most locomotives are not $75 anymore.  In fact, a majority of them are double
or higher.

> The only problems are caused by the customer themselves

So what you're saying is that I'm too stupid to figure it out?

> No, you can't aways get it from a particular supplier at the price
> and when you want it, but you can get just about anything.

I have not found that to be true.  I have missed out on several items because I
did not have the extra cash to spare at the time, and was told that I couldn't
get it anymore.  On occasion, I have looked on ebay for them, but in many cases
they went for far more than I could have originally purchased them, or I didn't
see them at all a few months after they were released...(i.e. when I had the
money).

> Very few items are sold at premium prices...... some command full retail,
> but that is the price that the manufacturer intended the item to be sold at.

If I had to pay $25 per piece of rolling stock that I currently own, I would
have spent $3,000 on rolling stock alone (and been kicked out of the house).  I
have spent that on SOME items that I wanted and chose, but 90% of them were
much less than that.  If I want to detail them, I can.  If I want to run them
'as-is', I can.

> Everyone has their own priorities.  Today people pay more per gallon for
> bottled water than the gas prices they complain about, pay monthly charges
> for various cable TV services, cellphones, pay ATM charges, buy cigarettes,
> restaurant food, the latest electronic gizzmos, sports team tickets, and a
> host of other descretionary expenditures.  All of which have increased in
> price more than Model Railroad Equipment.

Restaurant food hasn't increased more than a majority of model railroad
equipment...unless you're going to the Ritz or something.  Many of the other
things I don't have or use.  I have a FARM, which means that I have to spend
money on things like fertillizer, mulch, dirt, gasoline, diesel fuel, and so
on.  SOME of those have increased more than the avg model railroad equipment.
So, I don't see that as a valid point.

At the end of the day, I would like to have a choice.  I'm finding that model
railroad companies are deciding for me what I should buy and when I should buy
it.  Maybe some of the companies that are still working at keeping a standard
line running will supply that need.  We'll see.  If they all go the way that
some of them have gone, I don't think so.

Cheers!

Jan