[CBQ] Roadnames In A 'Q Coal Train

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Roadnames In A 'Q Coal Train
From: "Paul K." <kozys@insightbb.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 00:37:32 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Greetings all.

The plan for my as yet to be built CB&Q based, proto-freelanced rural
branchline "somewhere" in rural Illinois between Chicago/Galesburg, is that the
main reason the branch was originally put in was to reach a coal seam in the
area.  This was the case all over this area in the early part of the 20th
century and the many mines were served by various railroads criss-crossing this
area.

Of course, I would ASSume the majority of the hoppers on a CB&Q branch serving
a mine in this part of Illinois would be Burlington, but I'm wondering if it
would be prototypical/plausible or common for cars from other roads to be in
the consist of a coal drag as well.  If so, are there any road's hoppers that
would pretty much NEVER be seen in the train?

Also, would a coal drag come into/leave the branch off the main as a unit type
train from Chicago or other areas of the state/country, or dribbled in/out of
the area on various trains to be assembled/broken down in the nearest yard to
the branch, or a combination of both?  BTW, era is the latter half of the
1960's if this matters.

Any info on this would be much appreciated and you have my thanks in advance .
. .

"Paul (Kossart) - The CB&Q Guy"
North Central, IL Area
--
Proto-Lancing the CB&Q "Illiniwek River-Subdivision-Branch Line" in the 1960's.