Re: [CBQ] Roadnames In A 'Q Coal Train

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Roadnames In A 'Q Coal Train
From: <sholding@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 23:54:18 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Paul

Often mines were served by more then one road.
The Q(BN)use to get coal off the Rock Island at Galva from the south.  Often we
would pick it up with an empty coal train headed west and set it out at Mt.
Pleasant for the hospital there
And why HOPPER cars.  What about GS gons or just regular gons.  Often grain
elevators had coal houses where some young deserving youngster got the chance
to unload coal into the house.  Farmers would bring grain into the elevator and
take home coal.  Also company coal was shipped in gons for unloading at depots
along the way.
As much could be written on the coal mines north of Beardstown as John wrote in
Bulletin 35  For that matter the same could be said for the Iowa Coal mines  in
a state not noted for coal mining
sjh