[CBQ] Re: Good News at the Illinois Railway Museum

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Good News at the Illinois Railway Museum
From: "scottnauer" <archives@nauer.org>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 15:40:12 -0000
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
John,

It's amazing the secrets that can be kept when you hide a locomotive
in the shop :)  (Actually I mentioned it in a post 11 months ago, so
much for a quick paint job....)

Anyway, the story behind the story:

Last year we were talking about things to do and the subject of a
couple of our running locos having failing paint jobs came up.  The
SW-7 was one that was getting *very* bad.... there was a significant
amount of paint peeling off the rear of the cab.  We decided that
evening doing a "quick" paint job would be better than letting it rust
away.  So, we started to do the paint prep with the intention of
repainting it in the DRI&NW colors as it would be quick and easy.
Well, what we found was that the old paint was coming off the entire
body so easily that what ever paint was put on would last a long time
so we talked about it and it was decided that if the paint job was
going to last we should paint it back to Q.  (There wasn't much to
change to make it close to "right")

So, last fall we had the entire loco primed and the black paint done.
 Over the winter one of our volunteers did the lettering on the side
of the hood and the Burlington Route logo on the cab sides.  Several
weeks ago we managed to get the grey done on the roof.  What we have
left to do is the stripping, number boards and the numbers on the cab
sides.

Oh yeah, I'll get plenty of pictures once it's done!

later,
scott

--- In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, "John Lewis" <CBQJohn@m...> wrote:
> A good friend of mine, Mark Cheffey, toured the Illinois Railway
Museum at Union this past weekend.  Although he is an avowed Frisco
fan, he did send me a photograph of CB&Q 9255 .... it has been
repainted into Q colors from the Davenport & Rock Island livery it
used to wear.  Mark said the crew at Union knew they still had work to
do on the engine, but wanted it available for the museum's "Diesel
Days".  I posted Mark's photo (with his permission) in the photos
section of the list.

> I wasn't aware that they were repainting the 9255 ... the 504 (SD24)
was the only Q repaint in progress that I was aware of.  Guess I am
going to have to start planning a trip north ... like I need another
reason to visit Union!  :-)