[CBQ] Secondhand CB&Q 4-4-0?

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Secondhand CB&Q 4-4-0?
From: "Frank Hicks" <fullparallel@wideopenwest.com>
Date: Mon, 09 May 2005 05:03:34 -0000
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
I'm currently working on assembling a history of the Macomb & Western
Illinois, a spur shortline in western Illinois that interchanged with
the CB&Q at Macomb and from there extended about 20 miles south.
Unfortunately I have very little information about the M&WI's
locomotive roster outside of photographs; the railroad owned three 4-
4-0's early in its life, all of them secondhand.  It's been suggested
to me that one of them, #2, may have been bought from the
Burlington.  The exact date this engine was bought by the M&WI is
unknown but it would be in either 1905 or 1906.  In January 1907 M&WI
#2 was heavily damaged in a wreck at Industry, IL and was not rebuilt.

I've put a copy of the only surviving service photo of #2 in
the "Files" section of the group homepage; the file name
is "mwi2481.jpg."  This photo is from the collection of Western
Illinois University.  If anyone can contribute any information about
this engine, or has any ideas about where it may have come from, I
would GREATLY appreciate it.  (I would also be interested in any data
about the CB&Q boxcar #2 is pulling in the photo.)  Feel free to
contact me directly; I also have several wreck photos of this
engine.  Thank you!

Regards,

Frank Hicks

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Tcy2bD/SOnJAA/cosFAA/8ZCslB/TM