Re: [CBQ] Re: Random Waycar Sighting

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Re: Random Waycar Sighting
From: keith.nystedt@abnamro.com
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 12:29:58 -0500

FYI, St. James Farm was owned by Brooks McCormick who, I believe passed
away a couple of years ago.  The DuPage County Forest Preserve did sign a
contract with Brooks to purchase the farm and in return gave him a life
estate on the property. I do not know where the transition to the Forest
Preserve stands but I know they are accepting donations for the maintenance
of the property and further purchases of contiguous property.

Brooks McCormick was a descendent of Cyrus McCormick who invented the
reaper.  Brooks did serve as Chairman of International Harvester until he
retired about 25 years ago.  His mother was a Deering, another great name
in the farm equipment industry.  Family was also tied to The Chicago
Tribune, WGN TV and Radio as well as William Blair and Associates, an
investment banking firm.  Just to the north of St. James Farm is the
Catigny Estate, the estate of Robert McCormick who had been the publisher
of The Chicago Tribune.  Catigny has a war museum on it grounds dedicated
to, I believe, the 1st Division of the U. S. Army. Well worth seeing as
well as the home and gardens which are open to the public.

Hope to see many of you at the BRHS spring meet in Moline this weekend.
Say hi and introduce yourselves.

Keith Nystedt
Home Lending Officer
LaSalle Bank Home Lending Center - -Westmont
(630) 241-6422 Direct
(630) 964-0309 Fax
keith.nystedt@abnamro.com
http://www.abnamromortgage.com/IL/keith_nystedt

Ask about our Interest Only Mortgage!

                      Albert Kamm

                      <akamm3@sbcgloba         To:
"landrowen@sbcglobal.net" <landrowen@sbcglobal.net>, CBQList
                      l.net>                   <CBQ@YahooGroups.com>

                                               cc:

                      04/12/2005 08:38         Subject: [CBQ] Re: Random Waycar
Sighting
                      PM

                      Please respond

                      to CBQ

Thanks for the research, Larry.

According to Waycars of the CB&Q (Holbrook and Lorenz), Q 14351 was
intended to be renumbered to BN 11087 but never received that number.  It's
a 30 foot Class NE-1 (steel underframe applied) originally built in Aurora
in July 1906.  Notes in the book say it was donated to WTTW (Public
Television in Chicago) in July of 1971.  Additional notes say WTTW
auctioned it off to an individual in May 1977.  These dates don't agree
exactly with what you said below, but they are close.

I would be interested in seeing your pictures.  I didn't think going back
and taking pictures through the fence would do the subject justice.

Al Kamm

"landrowen@sbcglobal.net" <landrowen@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

--- In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, Albert Kamm wrote:

> My wife and I were bicycling near St. James Farm near Warrenville,
a Chicago suburb. For those of you who might not be familiar, this
is a large farm/estate that is being left to DuPage County as a park
when the current owner passes away. We were on the portion of the
Illinois Prairie Path that skirts the northern portion of the
estate. Since the leaves haven't come out yet, we could see
significantly more of the farm than normally is visible while cycling
the Prairie Path. And tucked among the buildings is a green waycar!
It's clearly a wooden Q car. It's in BN green with a BN herald. I
couldn't pick up a number at the distance I was at. Nor could I see
if it was still on the original trucks. It is on trucks, as we could
see one end pretty clearly. The lower portion of the side is hidden
when viewed from that angle.

> I've ridden the path there many times and never noticed the waycar
before. Does anyone know the history of this one? I may just have
to wait until the place is open as a park to check it out.

Al and all,

After reading your post I had to scratch my head -- isn't St. James
Farm the place my nephew works? A couple of phone calls later I was
on my way with camera in hand!

The Waycar is BN 14351 and is in perfect condition!! Markings on it
indicate that the bearings had been repacked 12/25/70.

The owner of the farm bought the waycar at auction in April, 1971 and
moved it to the farm behind the original farmhouse(a log cabin).
Fifteen years later it was moved to the picnic area of the farm and
used as an office.

The car is complete and everything looks brand new! Fresh paint and
fresh upolstery throughout. I'm thinking that BN must have rebuilt it
in December 1970. The coal stove and watertank/basin are there. An
ice chest is in the opposite corner. The toilet is in place. Except
for the lack of tools and no paperwork on board, it looks like it is
ready for service!!

I took about thirty pictures of it with my brand new digital camera
and as soon as I figure out how to download them I will try to send a
file to the photo section. (Can anybody tell me how? Feel free to
contact me off-list.)

Maybe someone can come up with the history of BN 14351.

Larry Owen
Bolingbrook,IL

privileged. If you have received it by mistake please notify the sender by
return e-mail and delete this message from your system. Any unauthorised
use or dissemination of this message in whole or in part is strictly
prohibited. Please note that e-mails are susceptible to change.
ABN AMRO Bank N.V. (including its group companies) shall not be liable for
the improper or incomplete transmission of the information contained in
this communication nor for any delay in its receipt or damage to your
system. ABN AMRO Bank N.V. (or its group companies) does not guarantee that
the integrity of this communication has been maintained nor that this
communication is free of viruses, interceptions or interference.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Rcy2bD/UOnJAA/cosFAA/8ZCslB/TM