[CBQ] Re: Random Waycar Sighting

To: "landrowen@sbcglobal.net" <landrowen@sbcglobal.net>, CBQList <CBQ@YahooGroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Random Waycar Sighting
From: Albert Kamm <akamm3@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 18:38:24 -0700 (PDT)
Thanks for the research, Larry.

According to Waycars of the CB&Q (Holbrook and Lorenz), Q 14351 was intended to
be renumbered to BN 11087 but never received that number.  It's a 30 foot Class
NE-1 (steel underframe applied) originally built in Aurora in July 1906.  Notes
in the book say it was donated to WTTW (Public Television in Chicago) in July
of 1971.  Additional notes say WTTW auctioned it off to an individual in May
1977.  These dates don't agree exactly with what you said below, but they are
close.

I would be interested in seeing your pictures.  I didn't think going back and
taking pictures through the fence would do the subject justice.

Al Kamm

"landrowen@sbcglobal.net" <landrowen@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

--- In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, Albert Kamm wrote:

> My wife and I were bicycling near St. James Farm near Warrenville,
a Chicago suburb. For those of you who might not be familiar, this
is a large farm/estate that is being left to DuPage County as a park
when the current owner passes away. We were on the portion of the
Illinois Prairie Path that skirts the northern portion of the
estate. Since the leaves haven't come out yet, we could see
significantly more of the farm than normally is visible while cycling
the Prairie Path. And tucked among the buildings is a green waycar!
It's clearly a wooden Q car. It's in BN green with a BN herald. I
couldn't pick up a number at the distance I was at. Nor could I see
if it was still on the original trucks. It is on trucks, as we could
see one end pretty clearly. The lower portion of the side is hidden
when viewed from that angle.

> I've ridden the path there many times and never noticed the waycar
before. Does anyone know the history of this one? I may just have
to wait until the place is open as a park to check it out.

Al and all,

After reading your post I had to scratch my head -- isn't St. James
Farm the place my nephew works? A couple of phone calls later I was
on my way with camera in hand!

The Waycar is BN 14351 and is in perfect condition!! Markings on it
indicate that the bearings had been repacked 12/25/70.

The owner of the farm bought the waycar at auction in April, 1971 and
moved it to the farm behind the original farmhouse(a log cabin).
Fifteen years later it was moved to the picnic area of the farm and
used as an office.

The car is complete and everything looks brand new! Fresh paint and
fresh upolstery throughout. I'm thinking that BN must have rebuilt it
in December 1970. The coal stove and watertank/basin are there. An
ice chest is in the opposite corner. The toilet is in place. Except
for the lack of tools and no paperwork on board, it looks like it is
ready for service!!

I took about thirty pictures of it with my brand new digital camera
and as soon as I figure out how to download them I will try to send a
file to the photo section. (Can anybody tell me how? Feel free to
contact me off-list.)

Maybe someone can come up with the history of BN 14351.

Larry Owen
Bolingbrook,IL

http://us.click.yahoo.com/EpW3eD/3MnJAA/cosFAA/8ZCslB/TM