[CBQ] CZ Consist

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] CZ Consist
From: railbass@comcast.net
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 00:11:15 +0000
I too have my eye on the new BWL CZ cars, but one question that has not been
answered yet is the breakdown of the consist by road.   I am modeling the 1950
period when the CZ was brand new and realize that each train was a mix of
CB&Q-D&RGW-WP cars.   Does anyone know what a "normal" mix of cars by road
would be in the 1950 period?   I do have Karl Zimmerman's California Zephyr,
which lists all the cars by name and road.   Would the mix be in a fairly
direct proportion to the number of cars owned by each road?   This would have
been before the insertion of a number of foreign road cars to the consist.

Also, there has been some discussion about the number of dome cars on the CZ
over the years.   I seem to recall that dome seats were not reserved, and
anyone on board could slide into a dome seat, if available, to enjoy the
scenery, then move to another part of the train while passing through western
Utah or Iowa.    If my memory has not failed, this could be a reason that
several domes remained on the train as long as it ran.   After all, that was
the big marketing ploy.
- John Manion
  Denver, CO

http://us.click.yahoo.com/EpW3eD/3MnJAA/cosFAA/8ZCslB/TM