RE: [CBQ] 4th subdivision of the Chicago Division

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [CBQ] 4th subdivision of the Chicago Division
From: "Matt Carlson" <mcarlson@railmemories.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2005 20:12:33 -0600
CB&N became part of the CB&Q in 1899. Controlled by the NP-GN from 1901.

La Crosse stuff:

No the tracks are not entirely removed.  The "old main" still exists from
milepost 295 down to the Cass Street area.  Service currently ends at the
City Brewery (Heilemans). The tracks from the North La Crosse yard to
downtown were removed in the about 1986-87.  Beside Heilemans and Trane the
railroad has also served the numerous lumber yards that line Green Bay
street.  Also at one time La Crosse had two other major brewerys on the line
that were also served by the railroad (one just north of Heilemans and the
other near what Lutheran Hospital). CB&Q did have a freight depot on Pearl
Street as well as small "yard" just south of there.

----
Matt Carlson
La Crosse, Wisconsin

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Rcy2bD/UOnJAA/cosFAA/8ZCslB/TM