[CBQ] Newbie: Psgr service - Denver-Sterling-Alliance; GE forum

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Newbie: Psgr service - Denver-Sterling-Alliance; GE forum
From: "flare40x" <flare40x@yahoo.ca>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 17:40:08 -0000

Hi.  I'm new to this list, so first I'll introduce myself.  I'm
chiefly a Union Pacific modeler (forgive me!) in HO despite living in
eastern Canada all my life.  I also collect HO models of SNCF (French
national railways) conventional passenger equipment for the 1980's
and early 1990's.  Nevertheless, on my very first "real" railfan trip
one of my chief objectives was the "racetrack" in Chicago, and I've
been back many times since.  Sadly, I never saw it under the Q - only
BN and BNSF.  But's it's one impressive operation.  I also try to get
to see the Pioneer and Nebraska Zephyrs whenever I'm in Chicago.

My main area of modeling interest is between Lodgepole and Sidney,
NE.  At Sidney is an interchange with the former C&S line between
Alliance and Sterling.  I'm planning to include that interchange in
my layout design, and am wondering if anyone can advise me as to what
equipment was used on trains 6-302 and 301-7 between Denver and
Alliance via Sterling and Sidney between 1952 and 1971.  Also, what
kind of depot did the C&S have in Sidney, and where was it located?
In my dreams I envisage a mini-Zephyr with a shiny passenger F and a
Budd train of three cars - baggage/RPO, coach and lounge - but my
sense of reality says "mixed" or "motor train".  Any help would be
appreciated.  As for freight, I figured an SD9 would do the trick.

And, while I'm here, I may as well plug my own forum on General
Electric locomotives.  Knowing the Q was an early supporter of
GE's "Universal" line, I figure there ought to be a few GE fans on
this list!  The GE forum currently has about 260 members, up from
about 100 a month ago, and the threads now under way are pretty
interesting.  For example, one concerns the reasons for the
dissolution of the Alco-GE partnership in 1953, and another is
exploring just what role Cooper-Bessemer played in supplying 7FDL16
engines from the late Fifties through the present.  Members of the
forum have also decided to form a GE Locomotive Society, and we're
planning a first general meeting in Erie, PA, for late May 2005.  If
you have any interest in the forum, please do check it out at
gelocos@yahoogroups.com

Thanks.

David Garon
Toronto, ON