[CBQ] Re: VO1000

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: VO1000
From: "Dale DeWitt" <dcdewi@aol.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 18:35:46 -0000

Todd,
The answer to your VO-1000 stack question as frequently happens
probably depends on what time period you are modeling and which of
the two versions, #9353 or #9365, of the Stewart model you
purchased.  Best I can remember, the CB&Q units were delivered in
1943 & 1944 with a single stack located on center back by the cab.
Overheating problems prompted several alternate manifold and stack
arrangement s by different railroads including the CB&Q. I don't have
a website link but I can give you 3 excellent references.

1.Alfred Holck's book, "Burlington Route Color Pictorial Vol 1"
published by Four Ways West ~1994.  Page 58 has 1960-1961 color
photos of both #9353 and 9365 with four tall stacks located just to
the left(fireman's side) of the hood centerline.  The photo of #9354
has four short stacks located simliarly also taken in late 1960.  On
the opposing page are photos of #9372 & 9374 with only one short
stack back near the cab with one photo taken in 1958 and the other in
1964.

2.Article by Charlie Roth in "Railway Prototype Cyclopedia Vol 8 in
2003.  Page 50 shows #9372 in Chicago 1961 with its orginal single
stack and #9358 in Kansas City in 1961 with the modified medium
heigth 4 stack arrangement.  The article notes that units assigned to
the Chicago area tended to keep their original single stack
arrangement and the Kansas City unis tended to be converted to one of
the 4 stack arrangements.

3. Numerous articles by Paul Withers published in the Diesel Era
magazine over many issues.  The CB&Q is covered in the Nov/Dec 2002
Vol 13 No 6 issue. It includes 6 photos of CB&Q units #9350, 9358,
9363, 9366, 9370 and one 1943 as delivered unit in solid black where
the number is not visible.  Again there is a mixture of single stack
and 4 stack units.  These photos seem to support the idea that single
stacks tended to remain on the Chicago units and modified 4 stack
arrangements became common on the Kansas City units.  One would have
to dig deeper if you need to know when the 4 stack modifications
occurred.

Hope this helps.

Dale DeWitt

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Q7_YsB/neXJAA/yQLSAA/8ZCslB/TM