Re: [CBQ] Color of class LO-11 cov. hoppers

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Color of class LO-11 cov. hoppers
From: "East Pass" <EastPass@19main.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 09:16:37 -0600
Christopher,

I do not know what "LO-11" means. If the CB&Q had a car
classification system it was not stenciled on the cars
and was kept a secret from the Operating and Transportation
Departments.

As to the cars series that you mention; at that time AC&F
built all it's 2-bay cars at Huntington WV. The 184xxx cars
delivered in 1966 looked like a normal covered hopper gray.
During '67 and '68 they built cars for the CB&Q, NP, and GN.
All were painted a much lighter color. If memory serves me
correct I'd say they cut the gray 50% with pure white. The
color was similar to the color used on the graybacks. Why
this was I do not know. It might be they got a bargain on that
shade of paint.

Have black and white builder's photos of the last two CB&Q
orders and can probably get the NP and GN cars. Even in black
and white the difference is obvious.

Russ