Re: [CBQ] Re: C&S Oil Burners

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Re: C&S Oil Burners
From: jonathanharris@earthlink.net
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 08:29:44 -0800
Thanks, Bob, for this very useful information. Regrarding the Spectrum
engine, it's about what I feared.

I was a little confused by your remarks on the Harriman 2-8-0. Couldn't
tell from your sentence whether this is the same as PFM's Santa Fe engine
or a different model. If the latter, who made it? I believe there have been
Harriman engines produced by various companies, from MDC-Roundhouse at the
low end to a number of brass importers, but it's never occurred to me to
get one so I haven't kept track.

Like you, I am disappointed, and frankly a little surprised, that no
importer has ever done a C&S 2-8-0 (standard gauge, that is). Yes, in one
sense it's a somewhat obscure prototype, but these were some of the last
steam engines operating on a Class I railroad anywhere in the US, in both
freight and fan-trip service, and as such they were seen, photographed, and
loved by thousands. But that was over 40 years ago now, so at this point I
guess that window has pretty much closed (sigh).

Jonathan

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/8ZCslB/TM