Re: [CBQ] Oregon Track Charts and Industries

To: mack@chmack.com, CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Oregon Track Charts and Industries
From: Q5632west@aol.com
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 23:26:46 EST

In a message dated 11/23/04 7:43:45 PM, mack@chmack.com writes:

> I'm
> especially interested in whether Carnation was still being serviced
> in 1967/68, and the status of the the industries along the "City
> Line". Did the tracks and the freight house still in use in 1967/68?

Greetings Mack:

Carnation was still operating in 1968 and being switched.   By the late '60s,
the NW2's stationed at Oregon had been replaced by GP7's and maybe GP9's,
some of the 7s with steam generators.   (Note I had moved from Oregon and was
making infrequent visits at that time, so this is quick and random
recollectons.)

Quaker Oats also had rail service, but as that was a maintenance and
engineering plant on the south side of the yard, I don't think it got a lot of
traffic.   E. D. Etnyre & Co. had moved its tank plant to Daysville a couple
miles
east of the Rock River bridge although the old plant on the city spur stayed in
operation for a few years, not sure until when.  I think the lumber yard on
the river was in business and might have been receiving coal since some older
homes still heated with it.

There was some kind of sand/gravel facility in the southwest corner of the
yard and some kind of feed/grain offloader.   The freight house still stood in
1968, but I don't think it was staffed at that point.   Farm Service was a mile
or so up the Mt. Morris branch and may have had a spur.   There often was a
string of M of W bunk and service cars parked across from the depot.   Also a
waycar there or by the freight house assigned to the Mt. Morris turn but rarely
used.

Most common in the yard were the ex-troop kitchen cars converted to express
service and hauled back and forth to the the Kable plant in Mt. Morris, and
covered hoppers, mostly Q, some foreign roads, loaded with sand from what was
then the Manly Sand Division of Martin Marrieta (or maybe American Marrieta,
according to one source.   Lots of little piles of white sand on yard tracks
from
less than tight seals.

Otherwise recall some mix of freight cars from ancient outside braced boxes
to a new shiny red plug-door car hauled to Mt. Morris for something, reefers
for Carnation, black Q open hopper (coal?), retired tenders and commuter
coaches
in the M of W string, maybe an odd flat or two delivering John Deeres.

Oh, and lots of passenger traffic, maybe still with an RPO or two grabbing
sacks from the crane just west of the depot.

Bill

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/8ZCslB/TM