Re: [CBQ] Covered Gons

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Covered Gons
From: "Rupert and Maureen" <gamlenz@ihug.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 18:39:19 +1300
Russ

I must confess that the thread "moved" slightly.

The original question related to roofed gondolas after someone saw a model
of one on the Modellers Choice web site. I offered the road numbers and
classes of various cars listed in ORER's, etc. as being roofed gons.
Reference was then made to a photo of a straight sill car in Mike Spoor's
book, with the subsequent suggestion of GM-6 as a candidate.  The focus then
switched back to the roofed model which is numbered "83526". This number was
allocated to a GM-6B, a class which was not listed as being equipped with
roofs, which suggested that the number was bogus.

Looking at the model on the website, it looks like there are either other
decals underneath or that they were applied manually as a temporary measure
rather than as a production sample.  It may well be that the end product
will carry another road number(s).

As regards the history of roofed gons, I was born in the wrong country to
see these cars in action (right age, wrong place), and can offer little to
that discussion other than what I have read.

Regards

Rupert