[CBQ] Re: EX C&NW Smooth side coaches

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: EX C&NW Smooth side coaches
From: "baton580" <rplaehn@cox-internet.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 18:41:02 -0000

<Aeolus stated----->
 <In the 1964 Montgomery Illinois wreck in the consist of the
ARZ/Aksarben, the
> Burlington had a number of the HW 6100's. The older HW coaches
were used in
> all the secondary trains. From what I've researched, the
Burlington must have
> kept the Budd Fleet on the road 24/7.

Which then begs the question:  With older heavyweight equipment
being removed and all Budd cars in high utilization (supposition
here from Aeolus' comments <grin>)  One wonders why trains
advertised with multi dome consists (such as the Twin Zephyrs as an
example) would show up without dome coaches substituing the C&NW or
other Budd flat tops in the consist?  Where were the domes?  On
other trains or in the coach yard?

My recollection is of several PdC-Chicago trips on the am Twin
Zephyr with a couple of coach domes missing and substituted with
flat tops and upon arrival in Chicago seeing several TCZ domes in
lines of Budd cars in the yards.  I also do not find many pictures
of the cars having been assigned to other trains.  Most photos I've
seen show only the DZ and CZ keeping relatively pure consists in
later years and the TCZ, KCZ and other trains being a bit of a 'dogs
breakfast'.  One wonders what the reasons and rationales
were in car assignments. Why not keep the 'name' trains as
advertised and put the assorted flat-tops and replacement cars on
the secondary. I'm speaking of the 60's time frame here.

Apologies, this could turn in to a real convuluted discussion vis-a-
vis specific consists and years, but I am curious as to what the
rationale was behind consists of the trains.

Bob Plaehn

http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/8ZCslB/TM