Re: [CBQ] CB&Q passenger trains

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] CB&Q passenger trains
From: amtrak347@aol.com
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 03:57:07 EDT
>From March 16, 1971 thru April 29, 1971 I had one of the two regular
assignments as fireman on trains 20 and 19 between Galesburg and Chicago.   I
believe
by this late date it was just called the American Royal train (no  Zephyr)
and it did run all the way to KC.  Between KC and Quincy (actually  West
Quincy,
MO) the train was numbered 5 and 6.  Reviewing my old time  book from 1971 my
last working trip was on 4/29 train #19 Chicago to Galesburg  with the 9953
pulling two cars.  I deadheaded home to Aurora on  #20 4/30 when the consist
had expanded to two units and three cars (the baggage  car was added at KC and
the second unit was added at Galesburg).  In the  book "Journey to Amtrak",
page 67 has a Bill Kratville photo of #20 about to  depart KC for the last time
4/30 and page 88 shows the train after arriving at  CUS (the same train I
deadheaded on).  Employee timetable indicates the  train was run between
Chicago
and West Quincy as trains 19 and 20 but I believe  the Public timetables showed
it as trains 5 and 6 Chicago to KC.  During  the time on was on this job we
typically had one E-unit and 2 or 3 cars but on  Tuesday, 4/13/71, we had 2
units (9981 & 9947) and 10 cars, obviously an  expanded consist to return
students
to WIU at Macomb from Spring vacation the  previous Sunday.  One particular
duty I had on #19, was to get off the  engine at Aurora and meet with the
conductor to get the list of stations we  would need to stop at between Aurora
and
Galesburg (several conditional stops  enroute).  Engine crews were
headquartered at Galesburg and the train crews  were headquartered at Aurora
but started
at Chicago.  Hope this information  helps.

Bob Campbell

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/8ZCslB/TM