Re: [CBQ] Digest Number 2191

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Digest Number 2191
From: clipperw@EarthLink.net
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 19:03:12 -0500
Paul,

You have already received several answers to your question, but I
thought I would fill out the response a little more. First, in the
1960's out of Chicago, the motive power was always O5B #5632 or O1A
#4960 (and, indeed, in later years, she always included a C&S tender as
a "canteen". It had originally come from an oil burning locomotive and
was still fitted out with those details. There are many pictures of the
canteen tender in various books.) Prior to late 1958, S4s, O5s, one M4
and one K2 pulled fantrips.

As for the train, I can only recall one trip that did not have a
baggage car. All the rest had a baggage car usually right behind the
locomotive, but occasionally in mid train. The baggage car had three or
four wooden slats made of 2x6s or 2x8s mounted horizontally to about
waist height in the four door ways as railings. The baggage car also
usually had light food service inside. Most of the baggages, as
mentioned earlier, were Havelock cars (silver or pullman green) , but a
few older heavyweight types were also used. In the very last years,
many trips included some gallery commuter cars and a few were even all
gallery cars, particularly the short trip  "kiddie" specials that were
run out of many towns. If you run gallery cars, don't forget the power
car as the steam locomotives could provide steam to the train for heat,
but no electrical power.

In the later years, very few fantrips were all heavy weight equipment,
but heavyweight cars were often found in the consists, including 4500
series chair cars, 6100 series coaches, diners and frequently, the
Omaha Club car. Illini RR Club's Chief Illini was often found at the
rear of their trips. It was a heavyweight open platform observation
lounge painted University of Illinois colors (Orange with blue trim and
a silver roof). I believe the car is still around at the Ill. RR Museum
in Union. The Omaha Club is also still around in a museum in Council
Bluffs, IA. The blue B&O heavyweight open platform observation car,
mentioned earlier, was privately owned, and IIRC, was named "Captain
Hook". I don't know what became of it.

Stainless steel streamlined equipment was also frequently in consist,
almost always including vista domes, (the original dome car, Silver
Dome, was a favorite), chair cars or coaches, diners and once in a
while an observation car.

Many trains had both light food service in the baggage car and a full
diner. Some trains, like the week long Illini trips to the D&RGW narrow
gauge, which traveled overnight, included regular Pullman car and
Slumber coach service, stainless steel and smooth side. The first of
those trips in June, 1959, left Chicago at 9:30 PM in a very unusual
move! I rode that trip for $167 coach including motels in Durango for
two nights! During that trip, I rode the cab of O5B #5626 between Wray,
CO and Denver (about 120 miles) with seven other railfans and 4 crewmen
at 80 mph! What a thrill for a 16 year old.

A fantrip train could be as short as 4 cars (the 5618 trip to the Twin
Cities in July, 1958) or as long as 15 - 18 cars. The trip celebrating
the 100 anniversary of Q commuter service in 1964, pulled by 5632
included 22 cars, almost all of them gallery cars.

So, for your excursion train, you can use almost any equipment that was
in service during the era you are modeling and still be correct.

Bill Barber

http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/8ZCslB/TM