Re: [CBQ] FM-10 flat cars

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] FM-10 flat cars
From: "Rupert and Maureen" <gamlenz@ihug.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 20:19:13 +1200
Gents

89557 was listed in ORER's between 1939 and 1943 with a length of 41' 7" and
9' 1" width, the same as the standard FM-10 measurements after the 1935
remeasuring change.  As it continued to carry a Burlington road number, I
presumed it was in assigned service to Thiessen.  The two pickle tanks came
from XM-12 box cars, according to a diagram book data page.  This page shows
amendment dates of 5/45 and 4/54, suggesting that it may have survived
beyond 1950.  The entry on the page has obviously been amended from the
original FM-10 entry relating to 91 cars in the class, which was the total
in 1930.

My copy of the 1935 ORER pages is unreadable as regards the number of cars,
but there were 25 FM-10's remaining in 1936. (I share your comments about
accuracy - or lack thereof - in the ORER data!)

The next question has to be about the XM-12's and the tanks. 101417-101516
were built in 1907 by SSC and were all off the roster by the beginning of
1928.  How many had tanks, when were they fitted, how big were they and how
long did the tanks last?   If the XM-12 were gone by 1928 and the Thiessen
car was built in about 1932, where were the tanks stored between the demise
of the XM-12's and creation of the Thiessen Special? The Bulletin notes that
Thiessen was using the XM-12's, and the company would have wanted
continuity. Would this suggest that the Special was created earlier, or was
there an interim solution?

Regards

Rupert