[CBQ] Re: Slumbercoaches

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Slumbercoaches
From: "thommack" <mack@chmack.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 18:25:45 -0000
Glen:

This is exactly what I needed to know. I knew of the four straight
NP Sluumbercoaches, but nothing was said in my book about CB&Q owned
NP Slumbercoaches. This explains why. For everyone's reference, the
picture of the CB&Q owned NP slumbercoach is actually printed in the
Microscale HO Decal set for NP passenger cars. I got a set to
reletter my Walthers CB&Q Slumbercoach. Since the Walthers model is
the NP prototype, and I model the Savanna area, I decided to use the
Slumbercoach on the NCL instead of a Q train. Imagine my surprise
when the picture with the decal showed "CB&Q" clearly on the
ownership name plate - but I couldn't makeout the care name or
number.

Does anyone know of any pictures of these cars? The Microscale photo
is very blurred. It almost appears that the CB&Q owned cars may have
a black instead of silver underframe. This actually makes some sense
since the Walthers model of the Budd Slumbercoach in New York
Central actually has a black underframe and black roof. The NP car
clearly has a silver roof (probably just stripped off the black
paint off the stainless), but it is hard to tell the color of the
underframe. If it was black, I'll probably just make the
Slumbercoach one of the staright NP cars (instead of messing with
painting the undeframe). On the other hand, if it is silver, I will
probably do one of the Q owned cars since the letter set from
Microscale does have the CB&Q ownership decal for the ownership name
plate.

Tom

--- In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, "GLEN HAUG" <glenehaug@m...> wrote:
> The two "Northern Pacific" lettered slumbercoaches owned by CB&Q
were #335 Loch Arkaig and #336 Loch Awe.  According to information
in Charles Rudisel's book, they were built in 1959 as NYC #10802 and
#10803.  The way I interpret Rudisel's narrative, these two cars
were among 8 cars that NP bought secondhand in 1964, and then re-
sold to CB&Q in 1965.  They had the letters CB&Q in the ownership
name plate on the vestibule end and PULLMAN on the opposite end.
Although similar in some respects to the 4 slumbercoaches purchased
for the DZ, they had no skirts, and had OSH trucks.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/8ZCslB/TM