[CBQ] Re: SD45 Paint Scheme

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: SD45 Paint Scheme
From: "thommack" <mack@chmack.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 18:17:34 -0000
Bill:

Thanks for the insight - very helpful. As a locomotive buff and
slide collector it is always neat to hear about these special
situations and rare birds. I was aware of the SL-SF GP50 since I
have a very extensive Frisco locomotive slide collection and had a
shot of it in SL-SF paint but BN sub-lettered. I finally got a very
nice shot of it with its as delivered SL-SF number. I run across
some interesting stuff in builders photos, though. One is that the
CB&Q SD24's were actually built with drop steps. EMD plant photos of
the Q SD24's can be found in both "Our GM Scrapbook" and "Loco I -
The Diesel" and both clearly show the unit with drop step and
chains. Does anyone know if they actually ever ran with the drop-
steps, or were they immediately removed upon delivery to the Q? (On
my new Atlas SD24's I've just carefully clipped off the drop steps
and replaced the chain with a thin metal rod. Looks good.)

Tom

--- In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, clipperw@E... wrote:
> Tom,
>
> I worked at EMD at the time and there is no truth to such rumors.
The
> paint scheme was planned well in advance by the Q Mechanical
Dept.,
> probably with considerable imput from the merger committee in St.
Paul.
> It is very difficult and expensive to change paint schemes at the
last
> moment in the production process. It has happened, however and it
> involved the Q or BN on at least two occasions.

> Bill Barber
>
> On Friday, June 25, 2004, at 04:52 AM, CBQ@yahoogroups.com wrote:
>
> > Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 22:12:47 -0000
> >    From: "thommack" <mack@c...>
> > Subject: SD45's and Slumbercoaches
> >
> > In regard to the recent SD45 color question:
> >
> > Anyone ever hear of the rumor that one of the SD45's was actually
> > painted in Chinese Red at La Grange, but repainted to green
before
> > leaving the plant? I actually heard that one from Dan Dover of
Extra

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/8ZCslB/TM