RE: [CBQ] BRHS meets

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [CBQ] BRHS meets
From: "Gregory Myers" <myers.gregory@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 20:49:17 -0400
Another point that I think should be considered. Many of us in the BRHS
remember the CB&Q even though it was merged out of existence 34 years ago.
As time passes, memories dim and interest is lost - particularly as those of
us who remember the "real thing" pass on. I personally try to keep interest
in the Q alive through model railroading, particularly by exposing it to
younger modelers who were not even alive when the Q passed into "the dustbin
of history." For many of the fallen flag railroads, I believe that the only
way for historical preservation to take place may be either joint
conventions, alliance between RR historical societies or even, heaven
forbid, actual mergers of societies with some elements of common interest.
For example, the Chesapeake & Ohio Historical Society and Chessie System
Historical Society have had joint conventions. In the future, this may be
the only way to gather sufficient membership to provide the base necessary
to support quality publications like the Bulletin of conventions that will
attract vendors. I do not find it far-fetched to think that, God willing and
I'm still around to do it, I might be a member of the Burlington Northern
and its Predecessors Historical Society or the Granger Roads Historical
Society. I would prefer for this not to happen; however, that would be a
much better result than for their to be no organization that would preserve
the history of the CB&Q. Therefore, while I may be a died in the wool Q fan,
I am very much in favor of inclusiveness for the overall betterment and
survival of historical RR preservation

        Greg Myers