Re: [CBQ] Diesel controls

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Diesel controls
From: amtrak347@aol.com
Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 02:24:07 EDT
Typical EMD control stand had:

    1.  10 notch throttle; emergency MU shut down, idle, 1 thru 8 power
"notches"

    2.  transition selector lever which could have 6 positions; 1 thru 4 for
the four traction motor circuit changes (series, series-parallel, parallel,
and parallel shunt), OFF (for locking the control stand and removing the
reverser) and dynamic brake at which time the throttle became a rheostat (no
notches)
to control dynamic brake amperage.  It is my understanding that only the FTs
and possibly the F2s had "manual transition"; all subsequent Fs had "automatic
transition".  The engineer would have to manually "shift transition" when
operating with FTs as prescribed by the EMD operators manual; kind of like
driving an automobile with a four speed manual transmission.  While the
engineer was
running the train, the fireman watched engine cooling water temperature
(ideally 165 degrees +/- 15 deg.) and would be responsible for engaging the
manual
clutches on the cooling fans of FTs; truly "hand-fired" diesels!

    3.  The reverser which could be removed from the control stand to "lock"
the locomotive.

    4.  A lot of locomotives (for example GP7s, E-7, 8, & 9s) had a
"maximum/minimum" TM field starting switch.  On GP-7s, it was a toggle switch
on both
control stands whereas on the Es there was a "knife" switch in each electrical
cabinet.

GE, an early proponent of "Erector Set Technology", had 16 power notches with
3 foot long throttles on their U25/28 B & C models; kind of like a roof hung
throttle on an O-5, only mounted horizontally!

Alco - the few that I was familiar with had 8 power notches like the EMDs and
to this day I say they built a much finer locomotive than anything GE has yet
to produce.  The wrong company went out of business in 1969.

Baldwin - don't know much about but believe the had "air" throttles.

I hope this answers your question(s)?  I'm sure others on this list will add
more.

Bob Campbell

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/8ZCslB/TM