[CBQ] Re: Re: Harlem Ave station Berwyn

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Re: Harlem Ave station Berwyn
From: Denny Anspach <danspach@macnexus.org>
Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 10:17:58 -0700

I believe that the CB&Q Harlem avenue station stop predated the C&
West Towns trolley by quite a few years. The stop recognized then, as
now, that Harlem was one of the most major north-south thoroughfares
near to the western boundaries of Chicago proper.

My home for eighteen years was within walking distance of the Harlem
depot, and I have memories of the very last operations of Chicago &
West Towns along Harlem Avenue into Berwyn c. 1941. In the context of
the current inquiry it is important to note that the trolley served
*both* Berwyn depots (ignoring LaVerne at the moment).  Just after
the single Harlem Avenue trolley line crossed the tracks northbound,
it then promptly turned directly to the east and ran down Stanley
Avenue right along the Burlington tracks to Oak Park Avenue where, if
memory serves, the line again turned north to Cermak Road.

Denny
--
Denny S. Anspach, MD
Sacramento