Re: [CBQ] Digest Number 2045

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Digest Number 2045
From: clipperw@EarthLink.net
Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 09:00:29 -0500
Remember that when most of the commuter station stops on the Q were
laid out, even the street cars didn't exist. The station were
established primarily for the convenience of customers, almost 100% of
which, walked from home to the station. Also remember that in the late
1800s, the phenomenon of "suburbs" was a new concept. In addition to
convenience, may of the stops, particularly further out from Chicago
were established with the idea of attracting people from the city to
purchase property and homes in the "new" residential subdivisions. The
easy access to the RR station was (and still is) a major attraction for
potential buyers. Just check the current price of property in
Naperville or Hinsdale which is near the station.

I grew up in Downers Grove and I have seen old advertisements, some
affiliated with the Q, extolling the virtures of suburban living in the
"new" developments in our town. Not unlike real estate development ads
one sees today.

Over time, many of the depots have changed, but their location and
popularity only seems to increase. Some of the more remote and smaller
stops from years ago are now much larger and at least one, Route 59 in
west Naperville, is totally new (and VERY popular) since the days of
the Q. It is the only depot on the Q commuter district specifically
designed for the automobile. As for relocation of depots, keep in mind
that Aurora depot has been relocated. The old depot is totally abandon
and all tracks removed except for the mainline.

While Harlem Avenue (the street) is definitely busy, the station
remains popular and still serves many customers in the immediate area
who walk there. In fact, like a number of stations, parking is at a
premium there. A new location between the Berwyn depot and Harlem
Avenue would difficult to accomplish as the space is not really
available and it would probably create a whole new set of traffic
problems.

Bill Barber

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511