Re: [CBQ] Auto Rack car

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Auto Rack car
From: Aeolus3@aol.com
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 15:05:23 EDT
In a message dated 4/24/04 2:45:26 PM Eastern Daylight Time, kmartin@cwia.com
writes:

> Awhile back I bought an Accurail tri-level autorack car. Now that I
> finally want to build it, I am wondering what era does it fit? Basically
> when did they come out? I want to know what era cars to put on it.

My guess would be around 1960 to the end of 1970. By the mid 1970's the
railroads suffered losses due to rocks and such being thrown at the auto's on
the
top ot the rack. This of course led to the inclosed auto racks. I remember
seeing a bunch of brand new Ford LTD's with smashed windshields. Some of the
open
racks lasted longer, but I think for the most part I wouldn't run an open
autorack past say 1975. There are still a few operating today in 1999 I saw on
on
the CN running through Washago Ont. in a CN Frieght. Guess kids don't throw
rocks in Canada.

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511