[CBQ] Re: CZ Dome Observation

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: CZ Dome Observation
From: "Stephen J. Levine" <sjl@prodigy.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 02:25:02 -0000
The DZ did have the domes in the rear, like the CZ, although the
observation cars were blunt end, like the KCZ.  The DZ observation
cars were configured like the CZ cars, with a subdome lounge, except
that there were parlor seats instead of 3 bedrooms and a drawing room
in the front of the car.

The KCZ observation cars were configured like the Twin Zephyr's
observation cars and both had dome was forward.  However, unlike the
TCZ obs cars, the roof line of the KCZ cars were higher behind the
dome than in front.

The famous promotional pictures of the DZ, including the one with the
North Coast Limited, Empire Builder, and DZ observation cars lined
up, actually have the KCZ Silver Terrace Dome observation car.  In
fact, I could only see one DZ 10-6 sleeper on the train, the one
right in front of the observation car, with the remainder of the
cars, at least to the rear, being older cars.  The DZ observation
cars were not delivered until September of 1956 and these shots were
obviously taken during the summer.

sjl

--- In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, "Charlie Vlk" <cvlk@c...> wrote:
> You are correct.  Somehow I got it into my head that the two blunt
end cars
> built for the KCS had the rear roof the same height as the regular
> roofline... and that the DZ cars had the domes in the rear position
but with
> the higher roofline aft.  The KCS and DZ cars were actually quite
> similar....
> Thanks,
> Charlie Vlk

Observations
> "Silver
> > Terrace" and "Silver Tower", the dome was positioned forward with
a raised
> > roof line on the long observation room (rear) end.
> >
> > The only Burlington dome observations "Silver View" and "Silver
Vista",

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511