Re: [CBQ]

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ]
From: "Russell Strodtz" <vlbg@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 01:05:24 -0500
Bob,

I'm sorry, but I was not from Aurora and did not do my drinking
or socializing in that area.

Jerry and Don actually worked together on the Congo for a while
and I think that this was one of those deals where they both
used me as a sounding board for their point of view.

Did not know that Don has passed away but I left the Chicago
area in 1979. Do not recall seeing his name at La Crosse.

While I certainly cast no doubt on anyone else's abilities I
always took the position that Jerry was the best Engineer on
both the Railroads I had contact with, the CB&Q/BN and the IHB.

While working the Raton job I certainly had a great deal of
respect for the Engineers at that location. The H-DENBAR is
often over 10,000 tons. About the only thing I had to do is
get the right personnel on duty and they would get the train
over. For that matter with that small crew base even if I
didn't get the crew combination right I'd be called and told
about it. While Amtrak is another story I never had a freight
stall between Jansen and Raton. Since the Raton to Albuquerque
portion almost always had to be DPed in order to comply with
the dynamic braking restrictions going down Glorieta the
inbound crews would usually have the train set up so all they
needed to do was make a joint and condition the power. They
were good people to work with.

Russ