[CBQ] Re: Proto2000 SD45 & Type of cooling Fans

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Proto2000 SD45 & Type of cooling Fans
From: "Dale DeWitt" <dcdewi@aol.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 04:45:50 -0000
Ed,

I am sorry but I must have either failing eyesight or brain or both.
I thought I had looked at every single page in the reference books
you mentioned.  Anyway, the Sd-45 photos in Dorin's book, "Everywhere
West the Burling ton Route" are perfect for clearing up the fan &
horn type questions.  The Cannon fans look great in my model but are
a bit tedious to assemble.  Smokey Valley (ex Train Station & Details
Assoc also have some of the correct see thru type fans (#139 & 140)
that are simplier to install.

With regard to the horn I had already cut a rectangular horn support
bracket off of an Overland 9015 horn and used it.  Didn't realize it
might be triangular.  If you use the Precision Scale two trumpet horn
#39085 I think it will save you a lot of fabrication work.  Walters
currently has them in stock for $2.75.  I will add the air line to
the horns on top of the hood.

Now on to the big task of trying to correct the trucks.  I was
planning on replacing the sideframes that came on the model with P2K
SD7/9 sideframes and then repacing the bearing journals with sloped
top versions but due to a change in truck and gearbox design by P2K I
don't yet know if this will be possible. Maybe some Athearn SD9
sideframes would work easier.  This is going to be the difficult part.

Regards,

Dale DeWitt