Re: [CBQ] One Last Gasp.....

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] One Last Gasp.....
From: Aeolus3@aol.com
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 03:00:42 EST
After riding Amtrak's CZ from Chicago to Denver, I would have to agree with
Ed. I found the cost very high indeed and I had a "roomette".  I found the
onboard service to be good, I had a great porter, the dining car staff was
great,
the food well was okay, and the guy downstairs in the lounge car was friendly.
I found the my bedroom as Amtrak called it clean and comfortable. However I
could have probably driven out to Denver over two nights and stayed in a couple
of motels cheaper, it was nice to ride the train. Although in western IA and
almost all the way across NE I found the BN track to be on the rough side. And
the pancakes in the morning well I think Mac and Don's have better pancakes
although that's not saying too much! :-)

I have to say that the only Zephyr I have ridden was back when I was about 7
years old my Dad took us for a train ride on the Twin Zephyr up to La Crosse
and then back two days later. Now from memory here it was a great trip but then
to a 7 year old things like Dome Cars were really "cool" and eating in the
dinner was wonderful! I do remember the speed though! And a smooth ride!

Sadly in the mid 1960's the American public turned their heads toward 707's,
DC 8's, 727's,  the family station wagon, and the interstate highway system.
Somehow Stucky's can't compare to Silver Kettle (sandwich) as Howard Johnson's
can't compare to Silver Tureen. Now Stucky's and Ho Jo's are long gone from
the scene..... I wonder will there be a historical society for them?

Loren Johnson