Re: [CBQ] One Last Gasp.....

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] One Last Gasp.....
From: "Russell Strodtz" <vlbg@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 06:54:41 -0600
Ed,

I did not know those numbers but they are not surprising. BNSF
has a certain payment for services contract but the big money
is in incentive payments.

BNSF gets paid incentives to operate the trains within certain
running time parameters. On time or late does not really matter.
The Amtrak Conductor/Engineer pairs also have some type of time
parameters they are keeping track of but again, it is not related
to schedule keeping, but just route segments. I do not remember
the Amtrak checkpoints but they are not at stations where stops
are made. On that route I'm pretty sure Wray is one and another
is at either Friend or Exeter. If they do not have a smoking
car station time and slack time is used for smoker's breaks,
usually Ft Morgan, McCook, and sometimes Hastings.

[I do recall an overheard radio conversation at Wolf Point MT
where the crew of a very late #8 commented that they could
spend their full allotted time at the station stop because
they were doing fine on their segment.]

Since the BNSF is CTC they do not need formal checkpoints and
just use the real time information to monitor. On the McCook job
we also use an Excel spreadsheet that one of the Dispatchers
created to monitor running times and predict meets. We know all
the time how much time we have to work with and what the target
time will be at Denver or Lincoln. The incentives on the Denver-
Lincoln route are not hard to make and we probably run about a
95% success rate. East of Lincoln is a little harder and probably
goes down to about 90%.

While those rates look high to you I can assure you it would take
a lot of passengers to just pay the incentive to BNSF. Don't know
the numbers on car capacity but maybe half a car? Am not in love
with working Amtrak routes. While the incentive is a challenge to
your skill and motivation there is always the feeling in the back
of your mind that these are my tax dollars going down the drain.

What is worst of all is I do not think the incentives would be that
necessary. Now that they have a certain mind set installed with
BNSF I think they could be phased out and the trains would still
maintain their running time goals. I, for one, would work just as
hard at it without the incentive, or perhaps harder as there would
not be as much management attention paid to Amtrak.

Russ