Re: [CBQ] Re: Digest Number 1972

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Re: Digest Number 1972
From: "Russell Strodtz" <vlbg@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 08:22:09 -0600
sjl,

Interesting comment about Oklahoma. Exactly where in the
United States outside the Northeast Corridor, where freight
has been banned, could you find any route that could compete
with the Turner Turnpike?

Even with a 70 mph or so station to station schedule the
parking and transition to different transit modes at each
end would eat up any slight travel time advantage. This is
also presuming that your only goal is to get from St Louis
or Tulsa to Oklahoma City.

The appeal of the American highway system is that it offers
many possible routing options and all at a reasonably rapid
rate of movement. Before my mother and most of my wife's
relations passed away we made the trip from Texas to the
Twin Cities or the area along the river fairly often.
Usually went from Oklahoma City over to Joplin on the way
up and via Kansas on the way back. Liked the variety and
it always seemed like the roads in Kansas City were set up
better to do it that way.  Even during the peak of American
rail passenger service I doubt very much I could have gotten
from a whistle stop South of Fort Worth on the MKT to a
whistle stop Northwest of La Crosse on the CB&Q in around
15 hours.

Russ