[CBQ] Re: Budd "pool" sleepers

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Budd "pool" sleepers
From: "Stephen J. Levine" <sjl@prodigy.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 20:42:36 -0000
Ed

You are clearly not having a good day at the ballpark <g>.

Your statement "The three or four rear cars of the DZ were cycled to
Colorado Springs and back while the DZ consist layed over" is not
quite correct.

It was cars in the middle of the train that went to the Springs
rather than the rear thereof.

A typical consist was
Dome obs parlor   -- Chicago - Denver
10-6 sleeper      -- Chicago - Denver
10-6 sleeper      -- Chicago - Denver
6-5  Sleeper      -- Chicago - Denver
Diner             -- Chicago - Denver
10-6 Sleeper      -- Chicago - Colorado Springs
24-8 Slumbercoach -- Chicago - Colorado Springs
Dome Chuckwagon   -- Chicago - Colorado Springs
50 seat coach     -- Chicago - Colorado Springs
24-8 slumbercoach -- Chicago - Denver
Dome coach        -- Chicago - Denver
50 seat coach     -- Chicago - Denver
Mail car          -- Chicago - Denver
Baggage Car       -- Chicago - Denver

The DZ Colorado Springs cars were transported between Denver and the
Springs on the Royal Gorge.

Later, in the early 60's, the train's dome coach was moved behind the
Chuckwagon and the flat top coach that had been going to the Springs
placed where the dome coach had been.  This enabled the Chuckwagon to
be kept in Denver yet still providing a dome to the Springs. I would
guess this was done because, being a food service car, the Chuckwagon
need more time to service and, perhaps, the availability of special
service facilities, between trips.

sjl