[CBQ] Re: Budd "pool" sleepers

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Budd "pool" sleepers
From: "Ed DeRouin" <Ed@pixelspublishing.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 19:32:49 -0000
Denny:

Not only did some CZ sleepers turn on the AZBZ, but the dome
obs did also. The was a part of the 1952 equipment purchase
that allowed the Q to upgrade the AZBZ to Zephyr status without
re-equipping the consist. Upon arrival in Chicago on 18,  the
cars were cut and departed that evening on 3 returning the
following morning on 30. They then departed that afternoon on
17. Without digging, I believe  the dome-obs, a sleeper or two
and a dome-lounge were involved.

In regard to the KC service, after receipt of the 1952 order of cars,
the American Royal was upgraded to Zephyr status and traded
dome-lounges with the KCZ, Silver Patio and Silver Garden were
rotated between the day and night trains, each making a round
trip daily. For the modelers, Walthers recently released
dome-coach is close, but needs full skirting and corrugation in
the letterboard area.

The three or four rear cars of the DZ were cycled to Corado
Springs and back while the DZ consist layed over. The DZ and
TZ did not exchange sleepers.

Regards,

Ed DeRouin

--- In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, Denny Anspach
<danspach@m...> wrote:
> I am familiar  with one or more of the CZ sleepers routinely
doing an
> interval turn to Omaha on the Ak-Sar-Ben Z, and am I not
mistaken
> that similarly, this also occurred to KC on the KCZ?
>
> Would this same thing occur with  DZ sleepers taking a turn
onto the
> TZ?  With the disarticulated DZ morphing into the TZ, I am not
sure
> how this might occur anyway unless they were comfortable
placing