Re: [CBQ] Galesburg photo question

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Galesburg photo question
From: "David Jordan" <dpj1974@insightbb.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 14:27:27 -0600
> I hope to photograph carbon black covered hoppers, if I can find a
> particular manufacturer's series. Is the tire plant in Galesburg that
> of Continental General Co.?

Gates Rubber owns this one and it is located on the Peoria Sub.

> I do not know where the plant is located, but I hope someone here can
> tell me if carbon black cars are hidden within the plant or if they
> sometimes stand in areas from where they can be photographed.

Carbon black cars can be seen on spot and on the spur lead. You can get pics
from the parking lot (but be quick just in case). These are typically CABX
(Cabot Corp) and ECQX (Engineered Carbons) cars.

Also, Caterpillar's Rubber Processing Facility on BNSF in Peoria (called
"Cat Tire" by RR crews and dispatchers) gets these cars as well. P&PU
delivers them to the old Q yard at Edmund Street where you can photograph
them to your heart's content. The Cat plant is along SW Washington St.
between Sanger and Leland Streets. It can best be seen from the latter. The
cars are CABX's. Cars of silica pigments (PPGX) and kaolin clay (SOU) are
delivered along with the carbon black cars. TP&W switches this customer for
BNSF, usually Friday afternoons but this can vary at times. Strangely, the
carbon black shipments come into town on the Union Pacific!

Use mapquest to find these plants. They are located at:

Gates Rubber Co:

630 US Highway 150 East, Galesburg, IL

Caterpillar, Inc - RPF:

2400 SW Washington St., Peoria, IL