[CBQ] re: carbon black cars

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] re: carbon black cars
From: "gaedgar66" <vje68@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 19:36:29 -0000
I am familir with plants in Des Moines, IA & Freeport, IL.  As tire
plants are big industrial sites, they are fenced and thus difficult
to get good pics of RR cars.  However the plant in Freeport (E of
town on S side of U.S. Hwy #20) can be accessed from rear (follow
road down W side of plant) and with a short walk you can catch a good
variety of carbon black cars on an E-W siding so sun is
always 'right'.  There was a major multi-part article on such cars a
couple yrs ago in one of the model mags that mentioned certain older
lettering styles were scarce but I found them @ Freeport as recently
as 2-3 yrs ago (is a Kelly-Springfield as I recall or one of the
other 2nd-tier brands so perhaps they buy carbon from smaller
sources, etc & get older cars?).  In any case I got to take pics of
those that dated pre-70 for CB&Q use. As for Des Moines, I've never
seen the cars in a position to get a good pic and for some reason
over the yrs I have rarely seen them enroute in a frt train.  PS -
you want to photo on a cloudy day unless you have a single reflex
where you can over-ride esposure to insure the lettering shows up on
these VERY black cars!
Freeport is served by IC (CN); D.M. by UP but am sure such cars
showed up on Q enroute from one place to another for part of their
trips - were there tire plants or carbon producers directly on the Q
anywhere?   Gerald

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511