Re: [CBQ] re: carbon black cars

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] re: carbon black cars
From: railbass@comcast.net
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 23:37:17 +0000
I grew up in Denver near the Gates Rubber Co., which is located along the joint
line used by D&RGW, AT&SF, and C&S.  Carbon hoppers were set along the west
side of the plant across from Santa Fe Drive and would have been an easy spot
for photos.  I noticed them often as we drove past the plant, but I was only
taking pictures of the few remaining steam locos in those days.  Hol Wagner
grew up in the same area and might have photos of carbon hoppers.
- John Manion
  Denver, CO
> I am familir with plants in Des Moines, IA & Freeport, IL.  As tire
> plants are big industrial sites, they are fenced and thus difficult
> to get good pics of RR cars.  However the plant in Freeport (E of
> town on S side of U.S. Hwy #20) can be accessed from rear (follow
> road down W side of plant) and with a short walk you can catch a good
> variety of carbon black cars on an E-W siding so sun is
> always 'right'.  There was a major multi-part article on such cars a
> couple yrs ago in one of the model mags that mentioned certain older
> lettering styles were scarce but I found them @ Freeport as recently
> as 2-3 yrs ago (is a Kelly-Springfield as I recall or one of the
> other 2nd-tier brands so perhaps they buy carbon from smaller
> sources, etc & get older cars?).  In any case I got to take pics of
> those that dated pre-70 for CB&Q use. As for Des Moines, I've never
> seen the cars in a position to get a good pic and for some reason
> over the yrs I have rarely seen them enroute in a frt train.  PS -
> you want to photo on a cloudy day unless you have a single reflex
> where you can over-ride esposure to insure the lettering shows up on
> these VERY black cars!
> Freeport is served by IC (CN); D.M. by UP but am sure such cars
> showed up on Q enroute from one place to another for part of their
> trips - were there tire plants or carbon producers directly on the Q
> anywhere?   Gerald
>

> Yahoo! Groups Links

>  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Yahoo! Groups Links