[BRHSlist] Re: Silver Charger

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [BRHSlist] Re: Silver Charger
From: Denny Anspach <danspach@macnexus.org>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 09:50:39 -0800
Subject: Re: Re: Silver Charger

Denny-
Unless I miscount,  only 12 of the Burlington Route prewar (non-articulated)
cars have trucks other than the shrouded disc brake truck.....the other 28
cars have that truck.... (and the rear of the Silver Charger makes 28
1/2!!!).
Notably, all the prewar pool coaches (the 4703-4, 4707-15) had them.
Charlie Vlk

______________________

The several-of-a-kind disc-braked trucks under the GPZ and some other
cars with disc brakes had an unusual gentle curved profile on the top
of the frame, and most noticeably had no frame extensions on which to
hand brake gear outboard of the wheels- the trucks can appear
truncated. As far as I can see so far, none of these disc trucks were
delivered with shrouds; and those shrouded trucks in other cars had
standard brake gear when the shrouds were removed from view.

My question is then, Charlie, is whether *any* of the
(non-articulated) Budd cars delivered with shrouds had anything other
than standard clasp brakes. The reason for this doubt is that when
one matches the elevation drawings showing the truck shrouds in
Rudisel and Randall against the proffered photos of these cars, none
of the photos show the shrouds actually applied, and within the
limits of photo reproduction, none show the distinctive architecture
of the "disc trucks". Although it is admittedly hard to see at times,
all of the "shrouded" trucks seem to clearly have the standard frame
architecture required by the use of wheel tread brake shoes.

The Budd elevation drawings (I am presuming that they are Budd) show
the GPZ and a few other cars with distinctive disc braked trucks
*without shrouds*. On the information available, it is reasonable to
postulate that they were never intended to have shrouds.

The drawings for the rest of the cars of this same period show
shrouds on the trucks without visible or written note as to the type
of truck beneath. So far in my finite experience, none of these cars
have shown up in photos with disc brakes.

A last question- Although the Budd drawings show these cars with
stainless truck shrouds, were any actually delivered with them- one,
two, some, all, none?

Interesting subject for a very interesting period in modern passenger
car development.

Denny
--
Denny S. Anspach, MD