Re: [BRHSlist] Re: Foreign Line Coal Cars

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Re: Foreign Line Coal Cars
From: "Russell Strodtz" <vlbg@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 12:02:12 -0600
Bill,

At least in the mid-sixties there was no effort made to
get foreign hoppers off-line. Some trains might be up in
the 50% foreign area.

For an example there was a regular movement in SLSF 9xxxx
series hoppers of petroleum coke from Southeast Kansas to
Great Lakes Carbon at Irondale IL which was switched by the
IHB. When these empties came back they went to Centralia.

There were also MP & C&EI cars in the petroleum coke service,
just not as many.

There was also a regular movement of coal in NYC/TOC hoppers
from Sahara Coal South of Harrisburg IL to Rochelle Municipal
Utilities at Rochelle IL. Those empties were commonly added
to the coal pool.

Reiss Coal at Green Bay WI loaded via the CB&Q so there were
also GB&W and KGB&W hoppers used.

After the merger BN pretty much purged the foreign cars but
ended up leasing large numbers of C&O and CRR hoppers.

On the other hand, during the mid-sixties some roads had a
shortage of gondolas suitable for mill service. There were car
service directives that limited their use by foreign roads.

This was also true of 40' common box cars.

Have many train lists on www.thevlbg.com that illustrate
this.

Russ