Re: [BRHSlist] Re: Foreign Line Coal Cars

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Re: Foreign Line Coal Cars
From: "Russell Strodtz" <vlbg@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2003 15:22:42 -0600
> On the other hand, during the mid-sixties some roads had a
> shortage of gondolas suitable for mill service. There were car
> service directives that limited their use by foreign roads.
>
> This was also true of 40' common box cars.
>

> Russ

Sorry, the above was not meant to mean what it appears to.

The gondola paragraph means just what it says but the comment
about 40' common box cars should have been above it, not below
it. 40' common box cars were used as "free runners" just like
the coal hoppers. At times there would have been as many foreign
cars spotted for loading at the Freight Houses in the Chicago
area as there were system cars. Foreign cars were also furnished
for loading at the low volume elevators. One night I sent over
50 to Earlville. Almost all were Eastern Road's ownership.

Freight forwarding gets into a whole new area I'll leave for
the future.

Russ

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511