Re: [BRHSlist] re: CB&Q & military

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] re: CB&Q & military
From: "John D. Mitchell, Jr." <cbqrr47@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2003 22:23:00 -0800 (PST)
My father-in-law, the late Vernie D. Swain (a Q car
cleaner) was in the Q sponsored ROB, as of all things,
a cook.  The Army must have figured shoveling out chow
was a lot like shoveling out a coal car! They trained
at Camp Polk (now Fort Polk), LA and went to India. He
was widower and lived with my wife and I, when we
first married. Sometimes, when we were both working,
he would cook supper for us. It was just awful. He
cooked just like a car cleaner!
John
--- Virginia Edgar <vje68@hotmail.com> wrote:

> To get us a bit more on subject: as many of you know
> Ralph Budd took a side
> job for FDR re: RR's & WWII efforts.  Also the Q was
> 1 of two doz RR's to
> sponsor it's own Ry Operating Battalion made up of Q
> employees (as did C&S
> as I recall for you west enders).  Question: anyone
> on the list a mbr of
> that Q or C&S battalion or son or friend of someone
> who was?  I've been in
> written communications to several Q vets who were -
> as with all WWII vets
> they are dying off quickly so time to get more of
> those stories "on the
> record".  My own father (still with us & in good
> shape @ 84) was not in such
> a battalion (was Army Air Corps with P-38's in the
> Pacific) but having a
> father who was a Q employee did mean the one time he
> was assigned to a troop
> train he got to ride & eat in the caboose rather
> than a "troop sleeper" or
> have to dine from the "troop kitchen car".
>
> Gerald A. Edgar
>
> 230 W. 5th St.
> Garner, IA 50438-1404
>
> (641) 923-2573

> Concerned that messages may bounce because your
> Hotmail account has exceeded
> its 2MB storage limit? Get Hotmail Extra Storage!
>
> http://join.msn.com/?PAGE=features/es

Rent DVDs from home.
Over 14,500 titles. Free Shipping
& No Late Fees. Try Netflix for FREE!