[BRHSlist] Re: Q & the military

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [BRHSlist] Re: Q & the military
From: "Virginia Edgar" <vje68@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 00:48:57 -0600
Bcc:
  Brad - tks for update - was this eBay book on one battalion or all?  I
have the "RRing in 18 Countries" by Gray (o/p & scarce) - history of the
entire Military Ry Service from 1862-1953.   The Burlington's WWII battalion
was the 745th; as for C&S, I see I was mistaken - they did not sponsor one.
However the 770th - a composite group created to operate the White Pass &
Yuon was headed by a C&S n.g. man: W.P. Wilson & presumably had other C&S
n.g. men as part of its complement.   Wilson left the 770th in "43 &
activated the Q's 745th which was assigned to India to operate their RR's.
He later was promoted to head a "Grand Division" (several battalions) in
Europe.  John Budd became head of another Grand Div. - does not state which
outfit he began with.  Ralph Budd, as I mentioned earlier, remained a
civilian & the Burlington's Pres but did head a commission for FDR on RR'ing
in wartime.  Not to get into politics here (especially on a Sunday!) but
FDR. despite being quite liberal in other matters, learned from the mistakes
of WWI and did NOT seek to put gov't control [USRA] over the RR's again.
It's safe to say men like Ralph Budd were eloquent spokesmen for keeping our
RR's in private hands for the duration and as we know, they did an
out-standing job.  (only to be rewarded with the Interstate system for the
truckers but that's another story!).
Overton made some mention of the Q's WWII military battalion experience in
the full version of "Burlington Route" but it's largely an untold story for
our BHRS members & the publix at large (good future BB article ladies &
gentlemen!).
  A lot of WWII military groupings (divisions, battallions, fleets, etc.)
had books written about themselves during or immediately after the war I
have my Dad's Air Force one - is like a H.S. or college yr book in many ways
as are others I've seem (and for the record, like my Dad, I'm an Air Force
vet).  Question - was such a book ever done on the 745th?  Printings were
usually small - i.e. just for the men in the particular unit.  Larger RR's
sponsored several battalions &/or a "Grand Division" (initially there were
10 such divisions) and some sponsored shop battalions (10) as opposed to the
more common "operating" battalions (43).  Things changed a bit during the
war (ultimately 12 shop battalions - 10 steam & 2 diesel).
PS - as for the other "Hill Roads" - GN is listed as a sponsor but NP not.

Gerald A. Edgar

230 W. 5th St.
Garner, IA 50438-1404

(641) 923-2573

Surf and talk on the phone at the same time with broadband Internet access.
Get high-speed for as low as $29.95/month (depending on the local service
providers in your area).  https://broadband.msn.com

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511