[BRHSlist] re: CB&Q & military

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [BRHSlist] re: CB&Q & military
From: "Virginia Edgar" <vje68@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 02 Nov 2003 23:52:08 -0600
Bcc:

To get us a bit more on subject: as many of you know Ralph Budd took a side
job for FDR re: RR's & WWII efforts.  Also the Q was 1 of two doz RR's to
sponsor it's own Ry Operating Battalion made up of Q employees (as did C&S
as I recall for you west enders).  Question: anyone on the list a mbr of
that Q or C&S battalion or son or friend of someone who was?  I've been in
written communications to several Q vets who were - as with all WWII vets
they are dying off quickly so time to get more of those stories "on the
record".  My own father (still with us & in good shape @ 84) was not in such
a battalion (was Army Air Corps with P-38's in the Pacific) but having a
father who was a Q employee did mean the one time he was assigned to a troop
train he got to ride & eat in the caboose rather than a "troop sleeper" or
have to dine from the "troop kitchen car".

Gerald A. Edgar

230 W. 5th St.
Garner, IA 50438-1404

(641) 923-2573

Concerned that messages may bounce because your Hotmail account has exceeded
its 2MB storage limit? Get Hotmail Extra Storage!
http://join.msn.com/?PAGE=features/es

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511