Re: [BRHSlist] Fw: [n_scale] Dispatcher Phone recordings Train orders

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Fw: [n_scale] Dispatcher Phone recordings Train orders
From: PSHedgpeth@aol.com
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 10:40:14 EDT
John I'm sure you're right about the old guys resisting the use of the
typewriter, but I think that it took a special provision in the rules to allow
the
use of the typewriter.

The old ops had a beautiful "script", but, as you said it was  sometimes hard
to read.

I don't rember the carbon paper being two sided, but just remember seeing the
operator, put it between the sheets with the ink side up, so it could have
been two sided.

For the younger guys, the idea of having the writing on the back was
twofold..One that if ;you were reading the order in the rain the writing
wouldn't get
smeared and two the orders were written on thin tissue paper (that's why they
were called "flimsies") and could be read holding them up in front of a dim
cab light or by lantern light with the lantern held behind the paper rather
than
in front of it.

Pete

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511