Re: [BRHSlist] Re: FW: Odell, NE to Concordia, KS

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Re: FW: Odell, NE to Concordia, KS
From: "Duane Koss" <dak507@planetkc.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 23:33:12 -0500
Cc: "Ken Ardinger" <kma2012@juno.com>, "Dave Sigler" <davess111@juno.com>
Hi Todd,
I too grew up in Washington, CO. in Washington, KS itself. That book that you
referred is a very good one that covers the Wymore Line very well with plenty
of great photos. I was 8 years old when steam was pulled from this line. I used
to run down to wave at the engine when passing through and to switch a few cars
there. Later, I met the former CB&Q fireman while I was photographing the ex-SP
(Kyle RR) switch engine leased to the Belleville elevator. This was maybe 1988
to 1990 and he still lives in Belleville, although now retired and health is
failing. He told me that he remember this little boy who was always out there
to wave to them.
Next a little history still remains....CB&Q 710 is now restored and resides at
the Lincoln Depot as part of the HayMarket District. It was beautifully
restored about 10 years back over at the Mt. Pleasant, Iowa shop. Washington
and Morrowville's depot remain, although the Washington depot has been modified
to be a storage unit. Several of us back about 1988 went to City Council to try
to save it. The school ended up buying it. I still have an invoice from that
depot for a stove shipped in abut 1956 and a brick from the platform out front.
I have only several photos on a couple locomotives on that line. One was an SD9
431 (in 1967) which I later got permission to go to Galesburg to photograph as
a BN unit. They brought it out of the yard for about 15 minutes for me to shoot
all I wanted. It helped being an Explorer Post Advisor for BN, Gibson Yard at
the time.  I will post a photo of the SD9 431 at Washington and I believe I
have already posted the depot. To my knowledge the SD9 is still working for the
BNSF yet. Sorry for this long posting... Duane Koss / Blue Springs, MO / BRHS