Re: [BRHSlist] Re: FW: Odell, NE to Concordia, KS

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Re: FW: Odell, NE to Concordia, KS
From: SilvrDome@aol.com
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 22:36:29 EDT
Cc: f7abba@kcnet.com
Todd,

In April of 1968 I spent a couple of weeks with my Stepfather's dad in
Concordia, KS.  He was retired and a widower and I was 13 and polite but
restless.
Every afternoon a lashup of Santa Fe Freight Blue and Yellow F-Units brought
the local into town to do some switching.  Just about mid-day they would do
their work and move on, either back to Abilene or on to Superior, NE.

My late father had worked for the Burlington in Kansas City, so I was a buff
at that point, but I don't remember seeing the CB&Q in Concordia.  I didn't
have transportation of my own, so maybe it was beyond my focal point.  The
Santa
Fe came right downtown Concordia. You couldn't miss those incredible F Units!
 They were there for a couple of hours setting out grain cars and doing local
swithing.  The crew must have gone to beans at the local coffee shops (which
were pretty good.) as the train was in town from about 12 pm to 2pm.  My
step-dad never cooked while I was there.

My mother finally let me come home.  I caught the remnant of the "Portland
Rose" UP #118 from Abilene to Kansas City Union Station.  About 4 E units
A-B-B-B, a few   UP Express Box cars a Baggage Car or two and 2 UP 44 Seat
Chair
Cars.  The Conductor gave me the onion sheet train orders which I have to this
day.

So I wish I knew more about Concordia!  It would be a great prairie model
railroad layout!

Hubert

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/8ZCslB/TM