Re: [BRHSlist] Digest Number 1762

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Digest Number 1762
From: William Barber <clipperw@EarthLink.net>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 08:29:38 -0500
Pete,

There are more than two of you who remember ICC and it's regulations
including its speed or lack thereof. I remember it well from a
locomotive manufacturing standpoint. It used to really frustrate me
that we, as a manufacturer of RR products, couldn't get ICC approval
for changes in safety items on new equipment because "we weren't a
RR!". The best response we could get, when they finally got around to
it, was "It appears to be in compliance". The final approval did not
come until the first ICC inspector looked at the equipment. If he
rejected it, it might and sometimes did mean a complete redesign and,
of course, a hurried field modification. They never did anything in a
hurry, but we and the RRs were expected to when not in compliance. The
world is better off with ICC gone.

Bill Barber

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/sO0ANB/LIdGAA/ySSFAA/8ZCslB/TM