Re: [BRHSlist] Digest Number 1762

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Digest Number 1762
From: William Barber <clipperw@EarthLink.net>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 08:07:47 -0500
Gerald,

Maybe part of the problem is getting the word out. I've been a Q fan
for more than 50 years and I, unfortunately, have never heard of Bill
Glick or his books. I read most of the regular RR and model RR press
and don't recall any ads or reviews. What is the subject matter besides
just hwt passenger equipment? Is it strictly Q or is it more
generalized? Where would one purchase copies of volumes 1 & 2? I find
that this is a problem with a lot of items in the model RR items of
interest. If you don't read the "right " magazines, aren't on the
"right" list or don't know the "right" people, you never hear about new
products and offerings. Not all of us can be involved in the hobby as
much as others and, frankly, there is an awful lot of material out
there to read. I belong to half a dozen lists and I only read the BRHS
list and the On3 list daily. So, maybe we need a better way of
advertising the products that become available. This list is a big help
IMHO.

Bill Barber

On Wednesday, July 30, 2003, at 12:51 PM, BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
wrote:

>   Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 13:20:32 -0500
>    From: "Virginia Edgar" <vje68@hotmail.com>
> Subject: CB&Q books - Saved flatcar
>
>   There was a time when books on the Burlington were scarce but what we
> lacked in quantity, we made up with in quality: Overton, Corbin and
> later
> Olmstead plus the unique Lewis & Pargellis "Granger Country" and of
> course
> "Diesels West".  We also benefitted from books with significant Q
> coverage
> such as Fielder's "RR's of the Black Hills" and Rudisel's BN Passenger
> Cars.
> The last decade has seen a bounty with Holck and Spoor, "local" books
> such
> as the Cathedral of Steel, etc.  That said, there is still a resistance
> among some Burlington fans to snap up books the way other RR's fans do.
> Bill Glick's 2 volumes on hwt passenger cars were & are as authoritive
> as
> any you will find on a railroad's passenger equipment.   He also
> covers the
> subject in such depth that the liklihood of someone else writing on the
> subject is slim and none.  Yet sales were slow enough that Bill could
> not
> justify the time and money to do the 3rd and final volume. Why wait to
> buy
> those 1st two volumes? I know of other authors who are also hestitant
> jump in because of this problem.  So if you are one of those who is
> still
> sitting on the fence on a Q book purchase, please consider doing so
> now.
>   I just read my copy of DeRouin's CUS - admittedly it's a partial Q
> book
> (although I counted 44 Q illustrations - more than the other 3 RR's
> onvolved
> with CUS!) but deserving of our attention.  The upcoming book on
> Waycars
> will be the be all and end all on the subject yet whether more
> projects come
> from the publisher will undoubtedly depend on the sales.  So instead of
> borrowing other fan's copies or asking for xerox's of specific info,
> let's
> get out there and buy Q books (and get our own membership in BRHS!).
> Happy
> reading,
>
>   And now for current Q prototype news - another preserved frt car!
> The
> hamlet of Froelich, Iowa (birthplace of the gasoline tractor), has a
> small
> museum which just added an all-wood o/b Milw box car AND an
> early1930's Q
> 45' flat (ex-MOW #208393).  Nearly all the decking is gone as well as
> the
> trucks - I believe this was built by the Q (Galesburg?).  Froelich is
> a 30"
> [...]

Free shipping on all inkjet cartridge & refill kit orders to US & Canada. Low
prices up to 80% off. We have your brand: HP, Epson, Lexmark & more.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5510
http://us.click.yahoo.com/GHXcIA/n.WGAA/ySSFAA/8ZCslB/TM