Re: [BRHSlist] Is It or Isn't It?

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Is It or Isn't It?
From: "Ralph W. Brown, Jr." <cbq682@grics.net>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 18:49:21 -0500
I would be one of the "local mounties".  More preferably, a Knox County Deputy
Sheriff.  The Illinois Vehicle Code reflects the following:

625 ILCS 5/11-1303  Stopping, standing, or parking prohibited in specified
places.

    (a) Execpt when necessary to avoid conflict with other traffic, or in
compliance with law or the directions of a police officer or offical
traffic-control device, no person shall:
    1. Stop, stand or park a vehicle: . . .
    g. Upon any bridge or other elevated structure upon a highway or within a
highway tunnel;

i.e. It is against Illinois law to park on a bridge.

In my own opinion:  I realize that the shoulders of the County 10 bridge are
very wide and comfortable, however, being a deputy sheriff, I spend a lot of
time out of a car working along the highway.  Even a highway construction
worker will tell you the same, it is not safe to play around the highway.  When
there are people on the bridge it increases the likelyhood of someone getting
run over.  Espically when you have no where to run too.  Unless you choose to
jump over the bridge edge.  On top of that you have the local people who could
careless about the trains are and driving 60 mph + (because we all know
eveybody drives 55 mph . . . yea right) and talking on their cell phone.  They
too could run over a railfan.

I myself don't get after people on the bridge.  One reason, I too like to watch
from the bridge.  Just remember, he told you to move because its against the
law to park there, and that is his job to enforce the law.  More importantly
then that, because he would rather have you relocate than to come back an hour
later and scrape your body of the roadway.  Believe it or not, we do this
because we don't want to see people get injured or killed.  I hope my comments
make sense.  Thanks.

R.W. Brown, Jr.
Galesburg, IL

  Was  on  the  Thriwell  bridge  the 9th  of  June .   Had  all my  equipment
  in plain  site .   Local  mountie  drove  up  and  told  me  I  could not
  park  on  bridge .  Said  I  could  walk  up  the  new  bridge  and  take
  pictures  there .    I  didn't  ask  about  walking  up  from  Thriwell Road
  intersection  and  taking  pictures  that  way .

  Wade  B.  Griffis

Inkjet cartridges up to 80% off. HP, Epson, Lexmark--we have your brand.
Free shipping on every order to the U.S. and Canada! Excellent service.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5510
http://us.click.yahoo.com/QWB0QC/.eUGAA/ySSFAA/8ZCslB/TM